Wednesday, July 22, 2009

pancakes, pancakes!

A food post! Won't these be lovely?

I am trying to put a little spark back in my cooking life. And how fortunate I am to be friends with Sheryl Julian. I really feel that she gets what I'm asking. I will sometimes, well twice so far, have something I want to make, and will e-mail her. Asking her for the quickest, easiest, and most delicious way to prepare whatever it is I'm asking about. In return, I get an e-mail with easy to read instructions, and neither meal took more than 30 minutes to make, start to finish. I adore her.

So, I feel inspired to try and start adding a weekly recipe post. I will do my best to include one recipe a week that is easy for other moms like me, and that helps involve the kids, sometimes.

One late night with Chris, I was sucked into a show on the food network. It was all about pancakes and how to make the perfect pancake. So I e-mailed Sheryl. Feeling sick of using Bisquick, and thinking there must be a more delicious, easy option. And of course, there was!

Fannie Farmer Pancakes:

1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 egg
1 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

In a bowl, combine 1/2 c. of milk, the melted butter, and egg. With a wooden spoon, stir thoroughly.

Add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Stir well.

If the batter seems too thick to pour, add a little more milk, 1 tbsp. at a time. It took me 3 tbsp.
of milk.

Drop small ladles of the batter into a buttered skillet. (NB: the butter makes all the difference in taste) Fry until the undersides are golden and bubbles form on the top. Turn and brown the other side.

Helpful tip: find an oven safe plate and keep your pancakes warm in the oven until you're ready to eat. I put the oven on as low as it would go, and even the very bottom pancake was still hot when we ate it. Also, if you get all the ingredients out ahead of time, it's a great recipe for kids to help with!


No comments:

Search This Blog