Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My green mission presses onward

I am pretty determined to be as green as I possibly can. When I was at the Partner's Conference, Maria mentioned in passing that she uses cloth wipes. I admit for a moment I thought she was totally insane. Ok, fine, more than a moment. But then another friend of mine mentioned it too. And one night, as I was changing Leo, I put the wipe in the diaper. It hit me, the extra step I always have to take to throw out the wipes, which is especially disgusting if they're covered in shit and it smears all over my trash can. How much easier it would be if I could just put the wipe in the diaper, and throw it all in the laundry.

My goal is to purchase as few things as possible that just eventually end up back in the trash.

So, I went to Fabric Corner and got 2 yards of fabric. At first, I wasn't sure if that would be enough, but as I started cutting them, I realize I will never have to buy wipes again!

I started using the 8x4 size, but I think will use the 8x8 size. By the time I get the wipes sewn together and cut off the extra on the sides, the wipes ended up being pretty narrow. Definitely still usable. The 8x8 would for sure be better with a messy poop.



Feel intimidated by the process of making your own wipes? I found, through the help of a friend, two websites that are really great. One about making your own wipes, the other, about making your own wipe solution. I decided to try the Aloe one, and will report back the results. See my side bar for these links.

Now, if only I can figure out how to get a better grip on working the sewing machine...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you looked at me kind of funny!! :)
Cloth wipes are easy, excpet for traveling. But it seems like a normal next-step. I suppose you have to sew them so that they hold up in the wash? I've heard of people cutting up old t shirts, and I guess after time, they's fray. I use baby washcloths because they are small and think.
m
http://a-mom-is-born.blogspot.com

Laura said...

Yay! I'm so glad you are doing this. We switched over to cloth wipes about a month after we switched to cloth diapers. It just makes more sense. I am so glad - I hope you enjoy the next step!

Search This Blog