Sunday, August 16, 2009

Betsy The Great


When I look back, to when Chris and I were just starting out, and Jack was on the way, I'm not sure my outlook on the future of my relationships with my in-laws was bright. But I guess what they say is true, that time heals all wounds, and now almost 5 years later, I can say I'm one of the lucky few who really loves their in-laws.

So among the 10 new family members I was blessed with, I have this totally amazing sister. This is not to say that all my sisters are not amazing in their own ways, but I feel confident that they'd agree that Betsy is one of the best human beings around.

Betsy loves riding bikes, history, books, music, good food and drink, adventures, art, friends and family, and making a difference. And you look at her and realize that even if she didn't want to do all the amazing things she does, there is something IN her that drives her to them. Like, for example, when she rode in the PMC Bike Race 1 week before packing up her entire life and heading to Haiti for a year. Regardless of how much she packs in, or how exhausted she is, at the end, she always has this crazy happy smile and all these fantastic stories of really cool and wonderful people she's met. You always walk away feeling like, well shit, I could ride a 190 mile bike race!!!

And so she's in Haiti. Teaching kids and making a difference and learning about a totally different world and way of life. I am really grateful that my kids have her in their life and hope they will learn everything and anything they can from her. I'm excited she has a blog, because I love reading her writing, and sometimes she writes something that brings a little tear to my eye because it's such beauty in chaos, and it makes me miss seeing the world and it makes me wish for my kids that they can see all the corners of the earth.

Anyway, if you're ever hungry, have some Spaghetti For Breakfast.

No comments:

Search This Blog