Thursday, April 23, 2009

And what a day it was


I always love this week in April. I never appreciated it, or even noticed it, until I met my husband. His birthday is today, and JJ's birthday is the 20th, and Mike's birthday is also today. My wonderful mother in law, mother to 9, always remembers this week so fondly. Entering into the hospital, New England on the cusp of spring, with only the boldest buds peeking out of the dirt. And each time leaving with a fresh little baby, cheeks as rosy as the fresh tulips that are only just now beginning to blossom. And sure enough, this morning, we looked out our office window to the tree in front of our house, and it was dappled with lime green sprouts.

So, onto the celebration. What better way to celebrate your 25th birthday than to bring your son in for his first dentist appointment. Well, Jack did fantastic. He loved every minute of it, which was shocking to me. I'm a dentist hater. A cavity with practically every visit for as long as I can remember. Chris and I, however, got a scolding. And well deserved. But damn it felt bad. Jack has this one tooth, that from the moment it popped up, had decay on it, or so it has seemed. I know, I know I should have done something about it sooner. I stupidly accepted my pediatrician saying that nothing could be done, he just had soft teeth. And then we went through a lot of insurance confusion as we lost our benefits from UPS and had to get onto MassHealth. But really these are just excuses, selfishly trying to make myself feel better for dropping the ball. Because honestly it just sucks sending your kid into a situation you know is going to be unpleasant, and one he'll most likely deal with forever, because the kid didn't get good teeth genes. Stay tuned...

Post dentist, all fed and in good moods, we had the brilliant (debatable) idea to walk from our house to Davis. It was a 45-50 minute walk, and by the time we got there, my thighs and calves were burning. Let's see, how should we reward ourselves for our stellar parenting and 3 cavity filled child. Mm, cupcakes sound good. If you've never been to KickAss Cupcakes in Davis Square I really and truly feel sad for you. They are the most delicious baked creations I've ever eaten. Truly ambrosia. We headed to the playground to nurse/eat cupcakes/ run around. Davis Square suddenly seemed to turn into a wind tunnel, and after Jack had a major wipe-out we slogged home. After getting everyone down to sleep, the four of us passed out until 5.

No comments:

Search This Blog