Sunday, April 26, 2009

Why I love summer

I love summer because it means being outside from about 7am-7pm. Post dinner walks to the playground, road trips to the beach and hiking around Menotomy Rocks Park. All winter long I debate whether or not I need prozac, but a few days of summer set me straight. And reassure me it's only seasonal.

The start of this summer feels so different, and quite honestly feels like the first summer we've had in years. Last summer was kicked off with Chris losing his job and us finding out we were pregnant again. And despite the fact that Chris was home all summer and we pretty much did nothing but fun outdoor activities, it still feels like it was a complete blur of miscarriage worry and job loss stress. I am so thrilled that now, a year later, Chris is a few weeks away from graduating. I have to admit, that when he started electrician's school I was worried. His track record with school is, to put it nicely, not good. Not that mine is any better. And I worried that this would be another black hole for other people's money, or something he would get bored with. But it was quite the opposite. For years I've wondered what would light the metaphorical fire under his ass. Always interested in things, and very smart, but never driven quite enough. I admit I still deal with a lot of my own feelings of resentment towards him. Why now? Why didn't he try harder to hone into what really drives and excites him. Why weren't we enough to make him work this hard in the past? I suppose that's the challenge though. To support your partner, especially when it gets this hard, until they find their way to what it is they need to be doing. And to not take it personally, which can be very hard. He and I share many of the same pitfalls. We both struggle with ADD. Neither one of us is medicated and there are times I realize we are really not functioning well with it. I digress.

This summer is filled with hope and excitement. Something I don't think we've really felt for a while. I hope that Chris is able to find a job in a reasonable amount of time because I actually know that he will be really happy working. And that's a really nice feeling. To see your partner embark into something that truly interests them and challenges them.


And it also means fat, darling babies, with big booties, sleeping in onesies.

No comments:

Search This Blog